One of the most successful programs offered at The Arc of Fort Bend County is our Special Olympics Program. Special Olympics provides year round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for people with intellectual and related developmental disabilities. Participating in Special Olympics gives the athletes opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in the sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
Who is eligible to participate?
The Arc of Fort Bend County Special Olympics Delegation is designed for post high school adults who must also be identified by an agency or professional as having one of the following:
- Medical diagnosis of Intellectual disability
- Closely related development disability, which means having functional limitations in both general learning and in adaptive skills such as recreation, work, independent living, self direction, or self care.
What Sports are available (see photos below)? Click here for an overview of sports and seasons.
- Athletics (track and field during spring/summer)
- Aquatics (during summer/fall)
- Bocce ball (during summer/fall)
- Basketball (during spring/summer)
- Bowling (during Sept. – May)
- Softball (during summer/fall)
- Volleyball (during fall/winter)
- Golf, by invitation only
- Soccer (during spring)
How do I sign up to participate as an athlete?
All athletes must complete an Athlete Enrollment Form to be eligible to participate. There is a medical portion on this form that must be completed and signed by the athlete’s medical doctor. Click here for the Athlete Enrollment Form. Return completed forms to Margo Pasko at The Arc of Fort Bend County Office (281-494-5928, email@example.com).
What are the fees?
- Each athlete must join The Arc of Fort Bend County. Click here for The Arc’s Membership Form or you can join on line by clicking here.
Volunteers Are Always Needed
Volunteers and coaches are always needed. Athletes for unified sports are also needed. Unified sports include athletes with and without disabilities.
Find the Volunteer Application HERE